1. Master plan
The conversion of Ixelles Barrack into a new sustainable and international district including a university campus and academic facilities will be made possible by a master plan adopted by the Region and designed in partnership with the municipality, the universities and the EU.
The “Barracks master plan” must follow certain procedural steps, with various deadlines between January and December 2018:
- January 2018 - Project design and environmental impact studies.
- February 2018 - Approval at first reading by the Regional Government.
- March-April 2018 - Public consultation.
- May-June 2018 - Recommendation of the Regional Development Commission (government consultative body).
- October 2018 - Approval at second reading by the government of the project, including any modifications following the public consultation and the recommendation of official bodies including the Regional Development Commission.
- November 2018 - Submission of the project to the Council of State to ensure its full legality and regularity.
- November-December 2018 - Approval at third reading by the Government.
2. Operational implementation
Once the master plan has been approved, the concrete implementation of the various components of Usquare can start on the site, provided the necessary building permits have been obtained.
The expected timing is as follows:
- From 2023: gradual development of public spaces on the site.
- By 2023: restoration and development of buildings that will house university and shared facilities.
- By 2025: renovation and construction work to accommodate student and family housing, as well as local facilities.