1. Master plan
The conversion of Ixelles Barrack into a new sustainable and international district including a university campus and academic facilities will be made possible by a master plan adopted by the Region and designed in partnership with the municipality, the universities and the EU.
The “Barracks master plan” must follow certain procedural steps.
- Project design and environmental impact studies: fall 2017 – June 2018.
- Information and participation meetings: June 2018.
- Adaptation: July – November 2018.
- Approval at first reading by the Regional Government: December 2018.
- Public consultation: autumn 2018.
- Opinion of the Regional Development Commission (government consultative body): September 2019.
- 9 July 2020: approval at second reading by the government of the project, adapted following the public consultation and the recommendation of official bodies including the Regional Development Commission.
- Submission of the project to the Council of State to ensure its full legality and regularity: summer 2020.
- Approval at third reading by the Government: end of 2020.
2. Operational implementation
Once the master plan has been approved, the concrete implementation of the various components of Usquare.brussels can start on the site, provided the necessary building permits have been obtained.
The expected timing is as follows:
- During the second half of 2021: restoration and development of buildings that will house university and shared facilities (completion of work scheduled for early 2024).
- From 2023: gradual development of public spaces on the site.
- By 2025: renovation and construction work to accommodate student and family housing, as well as local facilities.