1. Operational implementation
The specific implementation of the various components of Usquare.brussels has started on the site, provided the necessary building permits have been obtained.
The planned deadlines are the following:
- From the second half of 2021 to early 2024 - Restoration and development of buildings that will house university and shared facilities.
- From 2023 - Gradual development of public spaces on the site.
- From 2025 - Completion of 33 renovated family housing units at the former Clos des Mariés.
- By 2026 - Renovation and construction work to accommodate student housing and the rest of the family housing, as well as local facilities.
2. Master plan
The transformation of the former barracks at Ixelles into a new sustainable and international district comprising the university campus and academic facilities has been facilitated by an Urban Development Masterplan (PAD in French) adopted by the Government of the Brussels-Capital Region in November 2020 and developed in partnership with the Municipality, the Universities, Europe and the Urban Development Corporation (SAU) in particular.
The Masterplan has followed certain procedural steps:
- December 2017 - The first public information session is held on 13 December 2017 and brings together around a hundred local residents.
- 2018 - The Brussels Region acquires the site.
- May 2018 - The Brussels Regional Government instructs perspective.brussels to draw up a draft PAD.
- June 2018 - Two public information sessions are held on 4 and 5 June, in accordance with Article 3 §4 of the Order of 3 May 2018 on the public information and participation process, prior to the preparation of the draft Urban Development Masterplan.
- December 2018: The draft PAD is approved at its first reading by the Government of the Brussels-Capital Region.
- February to April 2019 - From 6 February to 8 April 2019, the draft PAD is submitted to a public enquiry in the municipalities of Ixelles and Etterbeek.
- Spring 2019 - The site is open to the public (events and temporary installation See-U organised by the SAU).
- November 2019 - The Regional Development Commission (CRD in French) gives its opinion on the draft Plan.
- July 2020 - The PAD is approved at its second reading by the Government of the Brussels-Capital Region.
- November 2020 - The PAD is approved at its third reading by the Government of the Brussels-Capital Region. It will enter into force within 15 days of being published in the Belgian Official Gazette.